Sunday, July 8, 2007

A Sad Goodbye


Dithers’ annoyance slowly began to grow as the night progressed. Kaylee would pop out of the game and excitedly explain what was going on, constantly telling Dithers that she couldn’t wait until he was back in the game. “Those damned goblins are at it again! I stuck myself in a crag and I know, I promised to do dinner with you but I really wish we could’ve done this in a cyber restaurant. It’s just taking soooo long to eat like this,” Kaylee said. And then she was gone again, playing the game. The joy Dithers had felt at liking her physical appearance slowly began to fade as she constantly played while he sat quietly. It didn’t help that his legs were sore from all the walking he’d done to get here, his body unused to physical exertion that went beyond 45 minutes. The few minutes Kaylee wasn’t engaged in a simutronic session, she would become blank and expressionless at anything that didn’t involve the game. Dithers had wanted to tell her about walking the streets before arriving, empty and dancing when no one was looking, and how he had screamed ‘Street Meat!’ Kaylee finished her food a good ten minutes before Dithers did as he took the time to chew, more a byproduct of having no one to talk to and nothing better to do. Finally, Kaylee came back and she registered that the meal was over. “Well, it was great seeing you. I really do miss you a lot,” she said smiling. Dithers nodded and despite his mood gave her a hopeful look. “Listen, would you want to meet again sometime? I mean, a cyber place is fine, I’m just here to make my boss happy. But before I get back into the game, could we meet sometime?” Dithers asked. Kaylee bit her lip and looked around, unable to make eye contact. Finally she answered, “Look, maybe, but can’t you just wait until you’re back online? Then we can be together again, okay?”

No comments: