Sunday, July 8, 2007

Grant A Wish


“May I ask you a question? If you could be anywhere or do anything in the world right now, where would it be?” Winterfresh asked. “Back in the game, as my old self” I replied without hesitating. A few steps further and I felt a swift sense of vertigo descend on me. The world turned for a moment, all the way around, and suddenly I was standing on the Fields of Marduke. Winterefresh laughed at my shock. “Gotcha!” he said. I immediately noticed there was a stange distortion to him. A quick glance at my hands showed the same problem persisted in me. “This is…this is what it looks like when you’re dead in the game. When you’re in ghost form and you have to find a cleric to resurrect you. How come I’m not alive? Hell, I’m not even my character, I’m me. What’s the point of-“ I was yelling again, still angry and getting angrier with this tease. I was silenced as Winterfresh pointed over to a band of adventurers that were sitting in one corner. They were checking each other’s armor, preparing their spells, and getting ready to go hunting. One of them, looking as charming as ever in her green elven form, was Kaylee. “Their cleric should’ve spotted us if we’re only dead,” I muttered as I walked up to them. “We’re a different kind of dead in this game,” Winterfresh replied. I felt a twinge of guilt at eavesdropping but I was also curious. I wanted to know where I could find Kaylee and the other adventurers when I logged in tonight. But as I got closer something made me freeze. Kaylee was helping a Paladin I had never seen before strap on his armor. “Even looks a little bit like you,” Winterfresh chuckled as my face, digitally, went ghost red.

No comments: