Sunday, July 8, 2007

An Epic Goodbye


“But what are we going to do? The entire party needs you. To heal us, to help us fight. Plus you’re my favorite person to go adventuring with. You’re my lover in this game. The great fighter twins, right?” Kaylee whined. I shook my head and shrugged. We were standing in the Frozen Wastes, a giant icy field of twinkling blue reflecting on a semi-purple sky. It was normally filled with newbies waltzing about hunting ice hounds, but we had both turned off player recognition. The vast fields were empty now and only we two could see one another. “I don’t know. I’m sorry. This is all my fault. I should’ve paid more attention, taken a break,” I sputtered excuses as I tried to think about avoiding saying the inevitable. Christ, we were scheduled to go into a dungeon that night. Who would replace me? I echoed Kayle instead, “What are we going to do?” Out of frustration I shot a lightning ball at a wandering rabbit, blowing it to bits yet doing little to assuage my own anger. “Listen, I’ve never said this before, but I like you. Outside of the game, I mean. Hell, our profiles are practically mirrors. We like the same books, same games, and the same movies. Can’t we meet somewhere outside of all this? Maybe on another game or an online cafe?” I asked. Kaylee blinked and half-smiled, “You mean like on a date? Like people did back in the old days? Where would we go?” I shrugged, told her I’d send her an e-mail. “Okay, but I’ve still got the tournament tomorrow, a clan raid after that, and that sword exchange over in Dark Helm. But after work that Thursday sound good? Kaylee asked. “I think my schedule is going to be wide open for a while,” I answered. My mouth trembled a little bit as I admitted that.”. Kaylee started to cry and I pulled her close, we two semi-alone in this semi-place while I faded away.

No comments: