Sunday, July 8, 2007

Paladin's Job


The Paladin character performs several essential needs for a group. While still a capable fighter, he can also heal and protect his comrades in battle. Most parties have at least one in the group and the most skilled usually become high ranking member of the party. Unfortunately, due to the popularity of this character many people find it difficult to stand out amongst many skilled warriors of this type. The mixture of jealousy and shock that ran through me was slowly abating. It was not like they could’ve gone without a Paladin while I was gone. Of course they had replaced me. Kaylee buckled up the shoulder plates, patted him on the back, and went to go check on other members of the group. It was strange, she seemed to be the one giving orders and managing all the minor details while the party got ready to go hunting. They may have replaced me in terms of function, but it was Kaylee herself who was the leader now. “Do you want to watch her in action? She’s quite good. This whole break has given her a real chance to find her own leadership skills. More confident. She’s experiencing the game from a whole new perspective,” Winterfresh said. “A break from what?” I asked. “Why, from you,” the A.I. answered. Kayle barked an order and the team began moving out. The Paladin took up the lead and then people slowly spread out in a sort of triangle formation. It was a pattern I’d never used before. Hell, I’d never even bothered with formations at all. And I definitely would never have tried to get a group of adventurers into it. “So...it’s all still happening. Everything is going on without me? Better than before even?” I asked. Winterfresh shrugged and we began to walk in the opposite direction from the party. Deeper into the desert. “It’s just a matter of perspective,” Winterfresh said. “Perspective? You cast me out! I was the Top Paladin and now this assclown is their main guy! What the Hell was all this for? Are you trying to enslave me to some other shit? Why can’t I just do what I was good at? What’s the vast conspiracy here?” I demanded.

No comments: