Sunday, July 8, 2007

Chang-Su's New Friend


I stood inside a bustling spaceport. Robots buzzed, bizarre aliens romped about, and space ships roared overhead. I didn’t even know where to begin. A furtive glance in either direction did not reveal any sign of Chang-Su and the growing annoyance with the entire simulation only increased. Why in the fuck did anyone find this kind of crap fun? People screamed and bartered, real people, in merchant tents and pod stores. They ran fake stores, for fake money, just so they could have a role with these people around them. What was it for? Just as I was thinking about turning the whole thing off a furry arm grabbed me by the shoulder. “Hey Dithers, welcome to ‘Starfight!’ exclaimed a very non-human Chang-Su. Rather than remain a short, anxious man he had recreated himself into a towering bear-like creature. “C’mon, my ship is docked in Port 219. You can meet the crew and start learning the ropes,” Chang-Su said as he led the way through the alien crowd. We passed row after row of space ships, different models and colors, and Chang-Su went on about each one as they walked. The game sounded almost as complex as ‘World of Realcraft’, which I could’ve devoted an equal amount of time babbling about. I couldn’t help but notice that Chang-Su still had that weird habit of wringing his hands like he did in the real world. And he still hadn’t noticed that I wasn’t really paying attention, just like people did in the real world to him.

No comments: