Sunday, July 8, 2007

Quick Escape


It would be a bit harsh for me to call them all nerds because I wasn’t much better. It’s just that the majority of my previous game life was spent killing things. I admired that. At the end of the day, whether Kaylee was with me or not, it was still incredibly satisfying to smash something’s brains out with a hammer. This…sitting around filing cargo reports and spending hours repairing simulated spaceship junk…was too much like a real job. Like being a merchant in a store or something. I just wanted more of the same. “So we’re not even going to be leaving before 10:00 pm?” I asked. “Nope, maybe not even tomorrow if Dorslis doesn’t find some Fyndorian Eels,” Chang-Su explained. I said that I wanted to have a better look around the spaceport and Chang-Su made sure I had careful directions for getting back. “A lot can happen out there!” he warned. Yeah, right. I gave a wave to a few crew members as I waltzed out the ship and handed towards the spaceport. I don’t think many of them knew it would the last time they’d see me, except for the Green Guy. He muttered some sentence in that language of his as I walked by and I muttered back, “Same to you,” Was this how people felt when I dragged them into playing ‘World of Realcraft’ and they skulked away a few hours later? All the facts and figures that seemed so important to me, coming across as meaningless to someone outside that world? It was embarrassing to think it so. Dithers unplugged.

No comments: