Sunday, July 8, 2007

Drinks and Ramblings


Before Dithers knew it, he’d ordered a beer and started discussing games with the people around him. Those that hadn’t once been active players on ‘World of Realcraft’ had sampled it after they were banned from their own games. “They all just start being the same after a while. Collect shit, kill shit, repeat until you stop giving a shit. Right, huh?” said one guy. “Your in-game girlfriend isn’t speaking to you now? That’s rough man, but you might be lucky. Me? I married mine. Two words for you: different person. I ended up quitting the game because I couldn’t take dealing with two people. Stayed married to the real one, broke up with the fantasy one,” explained another patron. “Why’d I get banned? Oh, the usual. Killing new players, random acts of terrorism, and slacking off at work. My boss A.I. pulled the same shit on me. I was all out banned though, I’m surprised you’re allowed to go back,” explained a cute bar-goer. “I just gave up trying to have fun in games. My buddy went back, but he doesn’t even adventure. Just hangs out with people and gives them tips. His other pal runs a bar in the game and they just do exactly what we’re doing. What’s the point, right? Here or there,” said another gloomy patron. They had all shared the gain and loss that Dithers felt so acutely and he was amazed at how good it felt to be around people on the same page. He stayed and talked an hour later than he intended. “So how did all of you discover this place?” Dithers asked. The patrons blinked and a few looked uncomfortable. “We all got coupons from our A.I. bosses. The exact same way as you,” Mark said.

No comments: