Sunday, July 8, 2007

In the Desert


The conspiracy? Okay, here it is: The vast conspiracy is...there is no conspiracy. It’s a game, Dithers. And you won. You collected all seven of the jewels of Angmar. You had slayed every major Dragon God in the Arc Mountains. And all the other challenges and hardships this simutronics system has to offer. You won. And you kept playing. Even when there was nothing left for you to do, you just kept playing,” Winterfresh said. The wind picked up a bit and dust flew through the two figures, invisible to everyone in ‘World of Realcraft’. “But I was good at it. People needed me. I was the only one who could…no, damnit. I don’t want to be Level 1 again! I don’t want to start all over and be some damn newbie in some other goddamn world or even in this one! I want to be on top again!” I exclaimed. “If you had to do it all over again. Right now, this very minute, if you reset your account and began as a new player, what would you do differently? Anything? Would you really and truly just repeat the same character over and over again?” Winterfresh asked. Dithers felt tears coming to him and he shook his head. “I don’t know. I guess I could try being someone else but…it’d just be doing the same quests again. I mean, the rogues live it a little differently. And wizards seemed to have a lot of fun. It’s just…going back down to the bottom sucks. But then again, I tried the other games and this one still seems like the right place for me,” Dithers said. Winterfresh laughed at this and beckoned Dithers to follow him. “I hope it doesn’t offend you when I say we A.I.’s really do think of humans as pets. You just do the oddest things,” he said as the two continued into the Desert. “I’m not going to let you have your old life back. But lets talk about your new one. What do you want to be?”

No comments: