Sunday, July 8, 2007

Question


“Two things before we get there. First, you weren’t punished. You were doing a fine job, it was the game that was the problem. You were addicted to it,” Winterfresh said as we descended. “A fucking addiction? Is that what you’re calling it now? Then how come all the other games I was playing bored me so much? Half of them felt juvenile and half didn’t even interest me. It’s more than just an addiction, it was my life!” I shot back. My foot stumbled and I stubbed my toe, the fog being so thick that I couldn’t even tell which direction we were heading. “Correction then. You were addicted to winning. You had pretty much mastered the game, right? You were one of the most experienced and respected Paladins on the playing field. The last trial you had to face with that game, with any game at all, is knowing when to quit. So I gave you a little nudge, the chance to gain a little perspective by being outside yourself. Second, and frankly this is a lot more important, quit feeling so fucking sorry for yourself. You had fun didn’t you? Got to have virtual sex with your hot elven girlfriend. Got to be the hero multiple times, saved plenty of people lots of heartache. So it’s over. So what?” Winterfresh said. I stopped walking and Winterfresh paused and turned. “What do you mean it’s over? Kaylee is still waiting for me. I’m just going to go back and pick right up where I left off. Tonight even! I’ll be back on my feet in no time, even if I do have to start over!” I responded angrily. I was becoming more upset as Winterfresh talked so casually about my feelings. That had been my life that he was talking about. That had been what I did everyday when I quit working. “I’m afraid nature even creeps its way even into simutronics, Dithers. Everyone abhors a vaccumn.” Winterfresh turned back around as he finished. I resumed following him, the fog slowly clearing as we proceeded.

No comments: